30 Rockefeller Plaza New York, New York 10012
Job Title: Tech Support Engineer
Company: Broadcast Media
Location: New York, NY
Length: 12 months’ plus
The Technology Support Engineer will be responsible for providing top-layer sustainability of newsroom and various production systems and hands on technology while working closely with various teams across all systems and services. Role requires an in-depth understanding of technologies spanning various newsroom tools and television production systems and workflows.
With central operations located in New York, areas of involvement and collaboration span across our various locations and facilities including Washington DC, London, Miami, and Los Angeles. The team is focused on the supporting newsgathering, special events and day-to-day production.
- Provide medium-advanced (level 2/3) support of news production systems in a 24/7/365 live television production environment for systems serving thousands of clients across multiple NBC brands.
- Experience in handling on-air user/system issues and providing solutions under SLA.
- Implementation of standards, controls, processes and technologies that ensure a high degree of availability and reliability for the systems and its workflows.
- Planning, Scheduling and Performing of preventative and upgrade maintenance across all the supported systems.
- Serve as on-call escalation resource for internal and other NBC support teams, involving on-site coverage during normal business hours as well as on-call support before/after normal working hours.
- Perform system-level troubleshooting of technical software and hardware, other computer and server systems associated with news production. This is applicable to both bare metal and virtual environments.
- Ready to adopt new systems, technologies and processes to meet future growth of our clients’ needs and those of the team.
- Track issues and resolutions, having effective communications within the team, operational groups and clients.
- Candidate must have 5+ years of systems management experience with proven expertise in media and systems support.
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY
- An Associate Degree in a relevant technical discipline, or certificate from an accredited technical training institution
- Advanced to Expert level knowledge of Media Asset Management and Production suite of products and peripherals (AVID’ s MediaCentral, Interplay MAM, Interplay PAM, iNews, Archives, etc...)
- Experience and knowledge in overall media life cycle from capture to archive is a must
- Computing and network systems, standards, applications and methodologies
- Program/Project Management
- Ability to communicate complicated technical issues in a straightforward and concise manner to audiences with widely varying levels of technical expertise
- Experience working with IT systems and web technologies, with a solid understanding of network protocols, standards, and fundamentals (e.g. DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, VLANS, etc.)
- Experience and knowledge in RDBMS databases (knowledge of Oracle and SQL is a plus). Building reporting and working with reporting tools is expected (knowledge of SSIS is plus).
- Working knowledge of Office productivity software, Outlook, Active Directory, iOS, Android and Windows
- Scripting experience (Shell, Perl, Python, etc.) a plus
- Experience with modern television production methods and equipment
- Experience and working knowledge in modern monitoring platforms is required. Knowledge of Zenoss, Splunk, New Relic, App Dynamics are a plus
- Working knowledge of HD video and audio signal manipulation and signal routing
- Working knowledge of Audio/Video production system internals and design considerations
- Working knowledge of end-to-end post-production workflows including media ingest, edit, playback
- Working knowledge in ticketing lifecycle (end-to-end) and the ITIL process. Experience in ServiceNow is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Video transcoding systems design, configuration and management, a plus, but not required
- Working knowledge of Avid server systems including ISIS/Interplay/AirSpeeds, a plus, but not required
- Working knowledge of various Archival storage technologies and systems like Oracle Front porch, IBM TSM library, S3 Object Store, Black pearl, LTO, and overall cloud storage, a plus, but not required
- Must be adept at building relationships within all technical & operational areas across organizations
- Willingness to work overtime and/or extended shifts, and on weekends and company holidays with short notice to meet the business needs
- Strong familiarity with broadcast production or video productions systems, including basic knowledge of non-liner editing tools (like Avid Media Composer) • Strong analytical and problem-solving skills • Expert knowledge of Linux operating systems & associated scripting (Shell)
- Experience with various other operating systems (Windows, Windows Server, Mac OSX, etc.)
- Experience with various databases (Oracle, SQL)
- Strong desire to learn and cross-train in new technologies and passion to maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies
Customer-service skills are a must