Senior Software Engineer
108 w 39 New York, NY 10022
Company: Well Known Online Publishing Company
Role: Senior Software Engineer
Location: New York, NY
Full-time Employment: Salary commensurate on experience
Seeking an experienced engineer to help design and build the data infrastructure necessary to achieve our growth objectives. As one of the fastest growing privately-held companies in the media industry, The Company has long championed the power of ideas to shape the world. As a member of our Data Engineering team, you will have the unique opportunity to work with the latest cloud technology and to influence product, business and editorial strategy at one of the nation’ s most celebrated media institutions.
Our ideal candidate is a talented software engineering generalist and strong communicator with a demonstrated capacity for delivering efficient and reliable systems that operate at web scale.
What you’ ll do:
As member of the Data Engineering team, you will partner with our Consumer Revenue, Advertising, Editorial, and Product teams to centralize business-critical information into a data warehouse, provide select systems and services to support high-value growth initiatives, and support the operations and analyses of the Data Science team. This is a significant opportunity to be part of a growing team and help shape the way we develop, deploy, and operate production quality systems. Your work will make a significant impact in the organization.
- Help drive optimization, testing, and tooling to improve data quality
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical members of the team
- Work with data scientists, engineers, and product managers to understand data needs
- Design, build, and launch new data extraction, transformation, storage, and loading processes and tools
- Conviction that high-quality journalism is fundamentally important— and the desire to help it thrive
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment where engineers are expected not only to build great technology, but also to define project vision, specify technical strategy, and always be learning
- Experience creating and maintaining relational databases, along with strong SQL skills
- Solid knowledge of more than one programming language, with a demonstrated ability to learn new ones
- Strong familiarity with Linux and comfort on the command line
- Demonstrated success in ingesting, analyzing, and presenting large data-sets
- Experience setting up, monitoring and alerting for data pipelines and ETL processes
- Comfortable presenting to audiences and communicating effectively and empathetically with clients, stakeholders and colleagues
Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience:
- Maintaining an Amazon Web Services stack
- Google’ s BigQuery
- NoSQL and MapReduce.
- Resource orchestration tools such as AWS Cloud? Formation or Terraform.
- Configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.