Director, Photography Studio
x Secaucus, NJ 07032
JBCconnect Client: .com for a major retailer
Title: Director, Photography Studio
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Seeking an experienced Director, Photography Studio: Item Photography to build and lead our new NJ based studio and produce best in class imagery and copy for our diverse product catalog. We’ re looking for someone who has built and run a photo studio, who has a proven ability to ramp-up, plan, optimize and scale our production. This role will also be responsible for establishing successful internal and external partnerships, setting and executing short and long-term strategies and implementing systems to create scale.
Ideal candidate will be able to build a best in class a studio designed for optimal flow, lead continuous improvement of the studio to maximize capacity, increase operational efficiency and ensure image and copy standards are consistently met. Director will oversee a diverse team with responsibility over studio budgets, sample management, studio operations, photography, retouching and product copy. You will build strong partnerships with merchandising, operations, technology, and finance teams, removing roadblocks for your team to ensure a flawless customer experience. Customer and fashion obsession is a must with a focus on consistently innovating and raising the bar on customer experience.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is detail oriented, organized, and demonstrates comfort with ambiguity. A positive attitude is a must with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment. The candidate will possess the ability to succeed with minimal guidance, be skilled at anticipating problems, and managing a large team.
- Plan and manage the execution of a high-volume, fast-paced e-commerce product photography studio with direct oversight of Sample Management, Studio Ops, Photography, Retouching and Copy
- Develop a long-term capacity strategy, workforce and workflow planning for studio operations
- Continuously improve productivity and processes and keep studio procedures up to date and well-documented, ensuring they are communicated proactively to full-time staff and contractors
- Drives continuous improvement and innovation by adopting industry trends
- Drive image and copy standard guidelines and ensure team executes consistently
- Develop and manage financial budgets including capital and expenses for item count and facilities needs
- Create, maintain and monitor reports to ensure critical information is going out to all studio and partner teams
- Develop and retain high-caliber teams by assessing current and future needs, and developing a holistic organizational model that scales with the needs of the business
- Collaborates closely with merchandising and digital operations teams to achieve business objective
- Builds, leads and manages a best in class photo studio team consisting of approximately 35 team members
- Oversee the development training materials and guides as needed including thoroughly documenting all processes and procedures
- Must be willing to be “ hands on” to solve problems.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience running a high volume, high production fashion ecommerce photo studio with strong studio business and operations background
- Proven track record of lead and inspiring a large team
- Expertise in budgeting, planning, and managing an extensive shoot schedule
- Excellent technical skills and prior experience evaluating and implementing studio technologies
- Expert at creating and analyzing operational performance metrics
- Experience building out / expanding ecommerce photo studios
- Working knowledge of continuous improvement concepts including lean, six sigma and/or 5S
- Knowledgeable with Canon photography equipment
- Proficient in Capture One, Photoshop and Color Management Techniques and processes
- SEO experience a plus